Our eating habits are changing. This is having a profound effect on our production and supply methods.
We are making solid commitments to increasing the availability of fresh produce, using local supply chains, expanding our range of organic products, managing quality by selling Carrefour own-brand products, gradually providing our employees with training in relation to these issues and protecting the planet's biodiversity by encouraging responsible practices.
Every ten years, the equivalent of one whole French département of workable land disappears in France(1) (over-cultivation, excessive irrigation, chemical inputs, repeated passage of heavy farming machinery, pollution, etc.).
Source: France and its countryside: 2025 – 2050. Better product quality
Forging closer ties with producers
- The company most engaged in developing agro-ecology in France, committed to reducing or even eliminating the use of pesticides by maximising biodiversity through its Carrefour Quality Lines.
- One of the first partners to help farmers switch over to organic farming methods
Carrefour Quality Lines, nearly 25,000 partner producers throughout the world
Showcasing national and local production
In Europe, 73% of Carrefour's food products come from national suppliers. This figure increases to 97% for Argentina and Brazil.
Increasing the availability of organic products
- More than 9000 organic food products across the Group
- Launch of the Carrefour Bio range of organic products in 2017 in Argentina
- 2018: launch of around a hundred new Carrefour Bio products
- By 2020: help 500 producers switch over to organic farming methods
The market's most demanding specifications
- Removal of all questionable substances
- Development of antibiotic-free animal product lines (chicken, pork, veal, etc.) or vegetable lines free of insecticides, herbicides and pesticides (tomatoes, kiwifruit, broccoli, strawberries, etc.).
- All Carrefour Quality Line chickens, pigs and cows are fed on GMO-free feed
- A product offering that is systematically co-developed with our customers, with more than 200,000 samplings scheduled in our stores for 2019.
- Commitment to reduce the quantity of packaging used for Carrefour's own-brand products by 5% between now and 2020
Guaranteeing the safety and traceability of food products
- Improve food safety throughout the world
- All Carrefour-brand product manufacturing sites have been certified or audited
- In France, we are gradually rolling out blockchain technology to all of our Quality Line products (chicken, tomato, eggs, cheese, milk, honey, ground beef steak, Norwegian salmon)
More than 50,000 products analysed since 2017
Encouraging responsible practices to protect the planet's biodiversity
- 50% of all fish sold will be the result of sustainable fishing practices by 2020
- In France, we were the first retailer to sell farmers' seeds and to sell organic fruit and vegetables grown from them. Thanks to this initiative, legislation was changed and Brussels allowed producers to freely sell these farmers’ seeds. This is an enormous step forward for biodiversity